I got back yesterday from camping up near Vail for the Teva Mountain Games.
We went up Friday after work and set up base camp at Camp Hale (where the 10th Mountain Brigade trained years ago). Upon leaving work Friday, I met up with two RECESS/SOARS protégés at the Bear Creek apartments at seven, and we grabbed dinner at Cosmo's Pizza. We zipped up to Vail and on south along US 24 until we saw the poorly marked entrance (it was pitch black, and the signs weren't reflective). We were only saved due to a "Point of Interest" sign a mile before. After pulling onto a dark paved road, we traveled slowly and ended up pulling into a "picnic area" driving through a couple inches of gravel, mud and water; I decided this likely wasn't the way we wanted to go and turned around. As it turned out, there was a turn off on the road where we went straight into the mud, that went to the campsite (again poorly marked in the dark). We found our campsite (campsite 12) and Margaret and I set up the tent. Isaiah went to bed as it was warmer in the tent (we were at over 9000 feet.) Margaret, Ramiro and I stayed up until midnight looking at the stars. I find it amazing every time I'm out of the metro areas and can see the stars. I forget they are all out there.
Eventually the sun rose and heated the tent to an uncomfortable temperature and we all got up. I brewed some instant coffee for Margaret and I. Then we drove a few miles back to downtown Vail and parked. We split into two groups with the idea that we would meet back at the car at 9 (after Bouldering Worlds). Margaret and I headed over to gear town and piled swag upon ourselves and tried to find a bag to carry the stuff. There were two bags to be found in the entire festival: at the Sobe dome where you had a 1/7 chance of winning one, and at the Bear Naked tent if you did their orienteering course. Both bags were the super desirable items this weekend. Unfortunately this year, VW wasn't there, so no Ipod shuffle for me.
We bumped into Isaiah and Ramiro hanging out on the banks of the river and agreed to meet up after the bouldering finals to head back to camp. Margaret and I continued downstream and sat on a couple rocks to watch the playboaters. It looked like fun, but really scary. I'd be concerned about getting stuck upside down during a flip.
Margaret and I grabbed a quick snack of pizza and then headed up to the Bouldering wall. We grabbed a spot to stand next to the Teva tent. The format of the comp was all 6 people would do one problem, then they would all go on to the next. Their were four problems for each gender. As the sun set, it began to get chilly and Margaret bought me a Teva Games hoody; it cut the chill immensely. I got a call from the protégés wondering where the bouldering comp was located; Golden peak was the venue and I suggested that they follow signs up to us. Eventually, they found us and we hung out watching the comp. Eventually, about halfway through the comp the question was raised: "can we all go back to the car?"; the answer was "No, this is what we came for, you can go back if you want." We watched the end and then headed back to the car. After a quick stop at a grocery store for hotdogs and sushi for Margaret, we arrived back at camp. I started a small fire and we roasted the dogs.
In the morning, we awoke to a coating of snow upon everything. Camp was torn down and we headed to Leadville for breakfast at the Golden Burro. I like going to this place. I always leave satisfied and full. (and their breakfast burritos are most excellent). We then coasted down to near Golden and stopped at Buffalo Bill's grave: very exciting. Then we went home. (no, I didn't take any of these pictures, I forgot my camera, so I grabbed these off flickr).
No comments:
Post a Comment