Friday, March 21, 2008

Road trip: the Beginning: Day One

Ah the time of year for road trips.  As I was loading things into my car, my neighbors were doing the same.  They had plans for a trip to Vegas (they had a hotel there Saturday night, and hadn't planned much farther than that).  They had some concerns about I70 and the chainup advisory on Vail Pass, but they decided to press on anyhow.  

After they left I continued to pack the car and eat some snacks while awaiting Margaret to finish class.  Once Margaret had arrived, we had a delicious lunch of Taco Bell and hit the road.  As we got such a late start we only made it to Raton before the sun was beginning to set.  So we set up camp in an RV park (much to the surprise of the owners, they weren't expecting anyone this time of year).  

I got to use my new REI Basecamp4 tent that I purchased a couple weeks ago.  It preformed spectacularly in the wind (thought it was a pain to set up in said wind, next time we will stake the tent down before we put poles in).  Also it should be noted that on this tent the poles go in the outer holes, that makes life much easier.  

No comments: