Sunday, March 23, 2008

Road Trip: Santa Fe on Easter Day: Day Three

We awoke from our slumber, early in the morning.  We then drove the car to old town Santa Fe after eating a delicious breakfast of waffles provided by the hotel.  I am proud to say I know my way around Santa Fe without a map or directions (perhaps I stop in this town too often).  Margaret and I found an empty downtown with very little open on Easter Sunday.  Though things did start to open as the morning wore on (around 10 and 11 most places opened).

We did end up stopping at Trader Joe's and picking up some snacks for later in the trip.  If we manage to make it back through Santa Fe with enough time, I plan on getting lots of the yummy freezer treats to stuff in the cooler (also a case of wine).  I also got the French Crullers that I crave so much, at Dunken Donuts.

We headed south on a road called "The Turquoise Trail"; I found it in my "Scenic Driving New Mexico" book.  It was as described: quite scenic.  A quick lunch at a place called Jezebel's with the best $7 hamburger from frozen patty I've ever had (economics at work: small supply, lots of demand).  

We eventually made it down to Socorro and picked up some pizza from Pizza Hut.  We then proceeded to zoom west out of town to set up camp in a remote campsite.  As we pulled in, a large family was pulling out, they had apparently did their Easter dinner/family get together at the large picnic shelter at the campsite;  I rather think that is a clever idea.  Though, I think if I were to do something similar I would throw less pastel confetti everywhere.

We set up the tent as it was getting dark and watch as the start slowly became visible, first one, then two, then a half dozen, then hundreds.  It was awe inspiring.

No comments: